Content Harry Potter
  • Previous
  • Next

Chapter 7: Birthday Surprise

Thank you to my Beta’s Donalddeutsch, Kat Armstrong, Cateagle and Sparky40sw.


Harry sat alone at breakfast eating eggs and sausage; not an unusual occurrence this summer, as he was often left alone when Dumbledore and Madame Pomfrey had other things to do.   He looked up from his plate as a single tawny owl flew into the great hall.   He didn’t recognize the owl as being from his friends, but it could have been from the post owl office in Diagon Alley or elsewhere.

The bird landed next to Harry’s plate and held out its leg for Harry to unburden it of the letter tied to its leg.   The bird took a sip from the goblet as Harry opened the letter and read it silently.

Happy Birthday Harry

3…2…1

When Harry read the ‘1’ in his head, he felt the familiar tug behind his navel and shoved his hand into his pocket for his wand.   He had been unprepared when he was taken by portkey at the end of his fourth year, which had gotten Cedric Diggory killed due to Harry’s carelessness, and he was going to be prepared this time.

Harry sped toward his destination, being towed by the letter, the incomprehensible colors streaking past him; sullying his perceptions.   When he landed with a thump, he barely registered that he landed on grass, just as he did in his fourth year.   With the force of his landing, Harry’s glasses fell from his face and his knees buckled; leaving him at a disadvantage, on his knees, surrounded by a blurry sea of wizarding robes.

This registered to him as danger.   Last time Harry had had long seconds before a wizard came along and started the torment.   This time he was already surrounded.   He took action immediately.   He shoved his wand straight into the air and closed his eyes and muttered a spell.   Most of his attackers were blown back sprawling on their backside, disorientated by the spell.

Harry quickly leapt to his feet and fired in quick succession a stunner at the first person still standing, a petrification spell at the second, ropes at the third and another stunner at the final wizard standing.   This combination left his attackers on the ground and momentarily left Harry safe.

Harry groped on the ground and found his glasses.   Quickly he put them on.   He was prepared to make a break for true safety or at least some shelter where he could make a portkey to escape.

His glasses on, Harry surveyed his surroundings and found that he was not in Riddle’s clutches but in the Weasley’s back yard.   There was the familiar walkway, there was the familiar magical house and there were all of his friends and order members on the ground around him.

"Oops," was all he could say at the mess that surrounded him.

Harry heard the assembled and grounded crowd start to moan and stir.

He noticed the familiar young redhead girl that made his heart leap and then immediately dive as he realized that she was lying on the ground because of him.   He rushed over to check on her, praying that she was not hurt.

"Ginny…Ginny, are you all right?" he asked, kneeling beside her and helping her to sit up.

"Harry?" she groaned.

"Yeah, Ginny," Harry said with regret dripping from his voice, "I am so sorry.   I didn’t know that it was you guys.   I just felt the tug of a portkey and thought it was Riddle again trying to get me.   I am so sorry," he quickly babbled.

Harry and Ginny both looked up into each other’s eyes and locked, emerald eyes and chocolate brown.   They just stared as the others around them righted themselves, unnoticed.   Harry reached out and cupped Ginny’s cheek with his palm.   She responded by a slight movement into his caress, never breaking eye contact.   Her response broke a dam in his chest, notifying him of what he wanted.

Harry moved slightly forward, suddenly knowing what to do, eyes intent on the beauty that he was holding.   Ginny tilted her head, reveling in the moment, acknowledging and approving of Harry’s intent.   She had wanted this for years but did not pluck up her Gryffindor courage to be straight forward about it, relying on other wiles to get her desires across.   Harry’s lips had just brushed the fiery redhead’s when they were startled.

"Harry?   What in the hell happened?" asked Ron.

Ron’s inopportune question broke the moment and Harry sat back on his haunches before he got up to his feet with a sigh and helped Ginny from the ground.   Harry realized what he had done and backed away quickly.   He had kissed Ginny.   She was dating Dean and has no interest in Harry anymore and he kissed her, his panic rose in his chest and made him forget that she had moved into the kiss as well.

"Sorry, thought it was something else," said Harry sheepishly to the group, trying to distract himself from Ginny and what he just did.

Everyone had gotten up and looked at him incredulously.

"What else could it have been?" asked Ron again.

"Well," Harry said,   "I’ve been kidnapped by portkey before and I wasn’t going to be taken easily.   I hate surprise portkeys."

"With good reason I would say," added Ginny.

"Constant Vigilance, good for you kid," Moody said in a surprisingly pleasant tone.

"Thanks," Harry said with a half smile.

Harry spared a glance at the gathered group as they broke up into smaller clusters enjoying the party.   Ron and Hermione were acting shy and stealing glances of each other.   When would one of them get a clue and realize that they were a Gryffindor and confront the other?   It was obvious to everyone but each other that they each liked the other.   The twins seemed to be plotting with conspiratory whispers and glances at the couple.   What was their plan in this or did Harry even want to know?

Harry’s eyes traveled to the youngest Weasley and his heart did a flip in his chest.   She was watching the twins scheme with a smile on her face.   To Harry’s eyes she seemed angelic when she smiled.   The joy on her face was contagious to Harry.

Harry caught himself.   What are you doing? he chided himself.  She has a boyfriend, remember, Dean, your dorm mate.   First rule; don’t mess with another guy’s girl.   Besides, remember what Hermione said, she doesn’t feel like that about you any more.   It could never work.   She needs someone with a future into adulthood.   That’s not exactly in your cards.   Even if you’re victorious against Voldemort, who says that you will survive.   The odds are not good.   Let her be happy with Dean.

Harry shook himself from his unseeing stare and found that Ginny was staring right back and seeing him shake himself she approached.

"What’s up, Harry?" she asked.   "What’s with the thousand yard stare?"

"Just catching myself in useless thoughts," Harry said.   "How are you?"

"Great," she said brightly.   "Good summer so far."

"How is Dean?" Harry asked.

"Dean?" she asked with a look of bewilderment on her face.

"Dean, your boyfriend?" Harry reminded her, worrying about the bump that she must have taken to the back of her head when she fell.

Ginny laughed deeply in her chest before turning her gleeful face back to Harry.

"Dean and I aren’t together," she told him as if it should have been obvious.   "I only told Ron to get him off my back and to punish him for being a nosey git."

Harry’s world spun.   She isn’t seeing Dean.   Wha…   But of course, remember Hermione said that she doesn’t like you like that.

"What is it, Harry?" Ginny asked.


Ginny stood in the garden awaiting the arrival of the guest of honor.  This is going to be so much fun.   Harry has never had a birthday party before.   Will he like his surprise party?   I hope the Professor is right about surprise parties.   Does Harry ever like surprises?

She glanced over at Harry’s best friends trading hidden glances and the occasional brush.  

When are they going to admit that they like each other and get it over with?   Everyone knows.   I think that even the Slytherins must be able to see them dance around each other.

Harry is going to be here momentarily, she thought to herself, and I can’t wait.   I love to look into his emerald eyes.   They look like they were cut from pure gemstone.   Of course the rest of him is not bad either.   He has never had an ounce of fat on him and when he has been practicing he gets that athletic look to him and that is just so yummy.

Stop it Ginny, she admonished herself.   He is not interested.   Remember what Hermione said.   Harry doesn’t feel that way about you.   He doesn’t even see you that way.   You are just Ron’s little sister and you shouldn’t waste your thoughts on someone who doesn’t even notice you.

But what if he could.   Could I make him?   No.   Harry does what he wants to.   No one can make Harry do anything unless he is willing.   So many years resisting Riddle has made him quite stubborn to anything forced.

Oh, here he is.

…Bright light…loud bang…

What…what happened?   Oh, at least the sky is pretty.   Sky?   Oh, damn, knocked on my backside again and Harry will see me like this…again.   Can’t I ever catch a break?

"Oops," said the standing figure in the center of the mess.

Ginny moaned and tried to sit up.   How did this happen?   Why must I always be embarrassed in front of that delicious man?

"Ginny…Ginny, are you all right?" she heard someone.   They were kneeling next to her.

"Harry?"   My Harry was next to me?   No stop.   He is not your Harry.   He is just Harry.

"Yeah, Ginny, I am so sorry," she heard him apologize.   "I didn’t know that it was you guys.   I just felt the tug of a portkey and thought it was Riddle again trying to get me.   I am so sorry."

Ginny reopened her eyes and stared into cut emeralds.   She was entranced, locked in to her favorite fantasy.   She didn’t notice anything but those wonderful, brilliant eyes.   She felt Harry cup her cheek with his hand and the warm feeling spread from her cheek to her entire body in waves of pleasure.   She was in contact with her dream.   She wanted more.   She leaned her cheek into his caress hoping for more.   She knew that this was pathetic, but it was oh so good, too.   She wanted to never loose sight of those cut emeralds and never loose contact with his strong hands.

The object of her dreams started to move closer.   He was going to kiss her.   She didn’t care if Hermione was right.   She wanted this.   Just one kiss.   Just another moment.   His lips touched hers and…

"Harry?   What in the hell happened?" asked Ron.

She could have killed her brother.   Why couldn’t he just keep his big mouth closed?   She didn’t care how she got here, just that she was here.   Harry sat back and the moment was lost.

"Sorry, thought it was something else," Harry apologized to his best friend.


"Huh, what?" Harry asked, her question startling him out of his thoughts.

"I asked what was wrong," she repeated.

"Nothing," Harry said.   "Just something that Hermione said coming back to me.   I’m sure that it’s right anyway.   She is always right."

"What?" Ginny prodded.

"Nothing," Harry said again.

"Harry, tell me this instant," she insisted.   Hermione had told her something about Harry’s feelings.   What if that wasn’t true?   What if she had told Harry the same thing and that was why he hasn’t done anything?   What if this was all a misunderstanding?

"Oh, well…you see," Harry squirmed.

"Harry, tell me now," Ginny commanded in her fest female Weasley voice.

"Well, you see," Harry slowly said again.   "I have been thinking about you a lot lately and then you were with Dean and I wanted you to be happy so there was nothing I could do and then there is the danger of being around me and what Hermione said.   She said you didn’t feel that way about me.   That I waited till too late and you had moved on and you no longer had a crush on me and…"

He was cut off when a fiery ball launched herself onto Harry, smashing herself to his lips and cutting of his babble.   Her resolve to win Harry by him just noticing her was over.   She was unsure if it was a success or failure, just that it was over…now!  

Harry was in shock.   What just happened?   What is happening?

Harry suddenly didn’t care and just started to kiss the fireball back.   He tilted his head and deepened the kiss as he wrapped her in his arms and pulled her as close as he could manage.   He was in heaven.   He started to pour his entire being, his heart and soul into the connection with this heavenly woman.

Air was beginning to become an issue.

Harry needed air but he also needed this connection.

Ginny broke the kiss but still held his shoulders to her.   He felt the same way about her.   He liked her.   Ok, now she was catching her breath.   Maybe that was a bit long, but boy could he kiss.


Tonks was talking to Kingsley about random Auror things when she noticed Ginny approach Harry.   This could be interesting.   The two were perfect for each other.   He was stubborn enough to date a girl with six older brothers and she was strong willed enough to step into the fight with him and to deal with the hoards of women and girls that would look at the famous wizard and desire him as their own.   As a bonus, he looks like his father and she looks like his mother.   Just trade eyes and they were a match.

Tonks thought, Oh, no.   How cute.   Harry’s babbling and nervous.  Half the audience has turned one eye to the couple in the center of the crowd.

Oh, my.   That’s one way to stop a babble, Tonks thought.   Wow, Ginny just launched herself at Harry and attached herself to his lips.   Quite a beginning.

Ah, finally, Harry’s over his shock and he is kissing her back.   Perfect.

Woah, that’s some kiss.   I wish that I was on the receiving end of a kiss like that.   It’s tempting to glance at my watch; this is going on so long.

By now the entire crowd was watching the floorshow in the center ring.

At this rate they’ll be turning blue before they stop, she thought.   This is some show.   Where’s my popcorn?

The couple in question broke apart but held their embrace.

I just have to applaud such a performance.

Tonks started a soft round of applause and much of the party quickly joined in.   She glanced around and everyone was smiling.   The best looks were from the six brothers.  Each had a glint in his eye but the twins were the worst, with an evil prankster look.   Harry had better be careful.   Tonks could almost see the plans dancing in front of their eyes.

Surely they wouldn’t harm someone that their sister liked, and surely not harm their financial backer.

Oh, yes, that story got out.   Ron had sent his mother a letter from school a few months ago revealing where the twins received the financial backing for their new store and business.   Of course they were successful within months of opening, but it took a lot of money to start a business.   Molly had ranted for hours about Harry financing the business.   Harry had always been one of her favorite non-Weasley’s, but Tonks was glad that he had not been around when the news was revealed.   It took her days to cool down and Arthur only barely kept her from sending a howler to Harry over his decision.


Ginny and Harry stood supporting each other, oblivious to their surroundings.   In Harry’s mind this was just too good to be true.  He, however, was smart enough to latch onto anything good and not let go.   He was stubborn like that.   Besides, his godfather’s will told him to have a life and Ginny was what he wanted.   If she wanted him as well, then he would grab hold and not let go.

"Ginny, will you go out with me?" he asked, making the situation official.

She answered with another deep kiss and a heartfelt, "Yes!"

"Great, but Ginny," Harry was worried, "this could make you a target and put you in danger."   He didn’t want her hurt but she was the one to make the decision.

"Harry, I know you and I know your enemies nearly as well as you do," she said with confidence.   "I think that you and I know them better than anyone else, even Dumbledore and I understand the risks.   But hey, this will put you at more risk too.   Are you sure that you want this?"

"More than anything," was Harry’s heartfelt reply.

"Good," Ginny said, now confident in her new relationship.   "Now from the looks that my youngest brother is giving your back, I think that we need to do a little attitude adjustment on him."

Harry smiled.   Being with Ginny could be fun.

"Well, you know," Harry said with a Marauder’s smile, "Sirius did leave me a considerable sum for ‘entertainment purposes’ if need be."

"Good to know," Ginny said, "but if I can convince the twins to do some minor wand work so that neither of us gets expelled for underage magic, then I think that we can kill two birds with one stone."

"’Kill two birds with one stone’?" Harry repeated.   "I didn’t know that you knew so many muggle sayings.   Ron never knows what Hermione or I mean."

"He’s just ignorant sometimes," Ginny stated.   "Skull’s too thick."

"Yeah," Harry agreed about his best friend.   "Also, two birds?"

"Hermione," Ginny said, "she needs to learn to stop telling others that the other party is not interested, or something like that.   She told me the same thing she told you more than a year ago; that you weren’t interested.   That’s why she thought that I had moved on, I stopped talking about you, but never stopped thinking."

"Ah well then," Harry returned, "lead on McDuff."

She raised her eyebrow, quizzically?

"Muggle literature."

She paused briefly as she thought about that, "Oh, okay, let’s talk to the twins."


  • Previous
  • Next