Content Harry Potter

Reviews

christine posted a comment on Sunday 3rd December 2006 4:24pm for Chapter 3

getting too excited, i cant wait for the next chapter. wohoooooo.

Rebel Goddess posted a comment on Sunday 3rd December 2006 2:56am for Chapter 3

Pickrake is very entertaining. I especially liked his final paragraph, so suggestive of what might happen because of all this. Loved the Dursleys not getting money because of Lily's wishes regarding Harry. More please. Great chapter.

ichtys posted a comment on Saturday 2nd December 2006 11:14pm for Chapter 3

Great chapter. My only critisism is that it was a bit fragmented with all the different POV. (It was also too short;-) )

I look forward to read about shared baths. I know they are completely innocent, but it should be a bit akward for Harry, since he has no experience with shared baths. ("Why do you look different from me, Ginny?" "I'm a girl Harry, I'm supposed to look different.")
I wonder if they are able to keep quiet during baths. I can imagine them having fun, resulting in Ginny having to explain why she is laughing while she was taking a bath (presumably) by her self.

Can Harry walk around the Burrow with only his Galaxy-charm on? If he can leave Ginny's room without his invisibility-cloak it would improve his mobility.
Also, how poverful is the charm? Ginny was unable to see Harry, but she could hear him talking, (she was rather startled by his voice IIRC.) Does this mean Harry can walk freely around, as long as he dosn't make a sound?

Very nice twist with the Lovegoods, I haven't seen that explanation for Luna's "wierdness" before.

Pickrake sending them to the wault after mentioning the book about marriages was quite entertaining. I had a vision of Ginny asking her Dad about some words they didn't understand:
"Dad, I was wondering what it means to 'consumate a marriage'?"
"Well, it means that after you are married, you sleep with your husband."
(Ginny, not knowing the difference between 'sleeping with' and 'Sleeping With' someone is satisfied by the answer, knowing that she and Harry will have no problems 'sleeping with' each other.)

I look forward to read the next chapter.

I was wondering if you could promote the discussion thread about this fic that is posted on your forum. I, for one, would like to hear what other people think lies ahead for Harry and Ginny, and doing so in the reviews is a bother.

Regards Ichtys

Musings of Apathy replied:

Quite right, I will promote the thread on the forums.   I will be letting the discussion go without my own firm guidance so that I don't spoil furure plots, but if asked for clarification of an event that has already occured, I'll try to respond if I see it.

Thanks for reviewing and thanks for starting the thread on the forum.

JBern posted a comment on Saturday 2nd December 2006 9:04pm for Chapter 3

Like I said elsewhere, really enjoying the story. I am curious to see where you will go with it. I like the fact you made the Dursleys have a modicum of intelligence to cover their tracks. That in itself is praise worthy.

JBern

fountaam posted a comment on Saturday 2nd December 2006 8:53pm for Chapter 3

Lovely. :)

Nyeshet posted a comment on Saturday 2nd December 2006 11:11am for Chapter 3

Another great chapter!

I like how you covered the means by which the Dursleys covered up the situation for the muggle police. Considering that Harry vanished from a locked cupboard, it is entirely possible that they believe the wizards came and took him away, so they are more likely to be concerned about muggle authorities than magical ones.

The introduction of the bat bogey hex (from Bill, of all people) was cute, although it will be a while before she has a wand of her own. (Maybe. If she and Harry marry, she will be legally an adult, despite her age, and so will be able to get a wand - perhaps even an unmonitored wand - I presume.)

The close call with Ron was well done. It also showed Harry and Ginny the potential hole in their plans regarding him - although how they will manage the bathing together bit is yet to be seen. Considering their ages and complete lack of experience with the world in general (in Harry's case due to his raising as much to his age, and in Ginny's case due as much to her protective parents and limited areas for exploration / interaction with others (most of whom are a bit odd - such as the Lovegoods) as to her age) they will likely not see a problem with it, but I think it will still seem a little awkward. I am a little surprised that Mrs Weasley - upon deciding that Ginny and Ron would bathe separately from now on - did not explain why (at least to Ginny, and at least to the extent of: "He's a boy, your a girl, and once you get to be [three, four, whatever] you can no longer bathe together." "Why?" "Because." "Oh." - or something like that). Or perhaps she did but Ginny forgot? Considering her age and how little importance she likely placed with that change, I suppose forgetfulness is entirely possible . . . .

As to the Lovegoods - I have a little problem here. As I recall, it was during her ninth year of life that Luna's mother died while attempting an experimental spell. It was supposedly this that caused Luna to become as weird as she is - or at least weird enough that Ginny, her long time friend, noticed. And yet Luna in this story is motherless and weird at the age of seven - eight instead. I don't have much of a problem with it - just nit-picking, really, but you have pushed back the age at which Luna's mother died by at least two years.

The idea about the Lovegood's having odd magical traits was interesting. I wonder if the Potter and Weasley lines have any magical traits? Perhaps the Potters are harder to curse? No. It was Lily that caused the protection, so perhaps she is from a line of squibs that once was of a (now extinct) family line that had such a trait, perhaps?

Well, actually, we already know that the Weasley line (not just the current iteration of the family) is known for its many children - nearly all of which are boys. That suggests increased fertility and a tendency towards male children. Considering the importance of having at least one male child during prior centuries, I can easily see a family accepting a spell or encouraging a trait that would allow for such, even if over time it caused a preponderance of male children each generation.

Still, it might be interesting if Harry, looking through a book from his vault on his family, its traditions, traits, etc, learned of some uncommon trait (even if of minor importance - such as a talent for DADA or the ability to fly better than normal, or a commonality for being able to have an animagus form, etc).

I liked that Harry was including Ginny in seeing Pikerake. The phrase that Harry picked up from Vernon is humorous in that it is now granting the Weasley family the equivalent of close to $1000 US dollars a month. Actually, if you take the figure that some fansites that have tried to work out the economy of the wizarding world use (1 Galleon = 50 pounds, not 1 Galleon = 5 pounds), then it works out to about an extra $10k US$ a month.

(They based their findings on the earnings stated for various jobs and what would be needed to survive on such, especially as otherwise most wizards would probably live lives as muggle menial workers, considering that their wealth would exceed the Malfoys after a few years of such due to exchange rates - unless the Galleon is worth 50 pounds instead of 5 pounds. It has to do with minimum wage - and the fact that minimum wage on a muggle job translates to almost 1G every couple hours worked - or about 20G a week, or about 1000G a year. If wizarding society can exist on just a few G a week, then after ten years a family could stop working for a generation or two, and if it were well invested they may be able to stop working for several generations - or even indefinitely. But this only works if the exchange rate of 1G = 5# holds. If the rate is a more reasonable 1G = 50# then the exchange rate doesn't allow for such cheating of the system due to odd exchange rates.)

Consider this level of wealth (~$8k-10k) when determining the shock factor the Weasley family (ie: Arthur and Molly) will experience when they discover the deposit a week from now. The Weasley parents should literally be in shock, as Arthur likely makes far less than 100G a month. (Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if Arthur only makes ~30G to 70G a month.) Harry is in effect more than doubling - possibly even tripling - the entire family income each month starting in two weeks.

"Now, if you like, I will have someone take you to the Potter Family vault."

It will be interesting what he will discover there. A book on his family's history, traditions, traits, etc could be useful, but I think a book that relates to the rings will be near the top of your list. Some fanfics have James and Lily leaving a 'just in case we don't make it' note for Harry in the vault. Sometimes it mentions their choice to change to Peter, sometimes not (as I'm not sure they would have left the house for any reason after the spell was placed upon them - even to leave an extra letter at the bank or to make a correction to such a letter already present).

In any case, I look forward to your next chapter.

Musings of Apathy replied:

Thank you for the long and thoughtful review.   As to the state of Luna's mother, that part of the chapter takes place on a week day, in the morning.   Luna's father is home, as he normally is, because he writes and edits the Quibbler from home, allowing him to take care of their daughter.   However, as I alluded to with Lukasha telling stories of his wife's work for a small spell crating firm, she is alive but at work.   We may see her later and her fate is not sealed as of yet.

Thank you again for reviewing.

The Midnight Poster posted a comment on Saturday 2nd December 2006 5:24am for Chapter 3

I'm pleased to read that you're going to continue this story. I've always enjoyed stories where Harry in rescued from his relatives.

Asad posted a comment on Saturday 2nd December 2006 3:21am for Chapter 3

Very nice. It is suspicious how Harry has been missing from Privet Drive for so long and nobody has noticed it enough in the wizarding world (particularly Dumbledore) to take action.

Strange behavior from the Lovegoods, IMO. The explanations for the behavior are unique for me.

Nice spot of interaction with Ron.

ttestagr posted a comment on Friday 1st December 2006 8:04pm for Chapter 3

I'll be happy as long as this continues. Most Harry Potter fanfiction has gotten stale to me, but this does avoid the cliches that have riddled the fanon for awhile (especially in these types of stories) and is a breath of fresh air. You've also taken the goblins in a new direction from what I usually read (which is that they support Harry because he is the only polite human.) Having Pickrake help them for his own amusement is original as far as I've seen, and brilliant to the highest order.

No Idea Why I Smile posted a comment on Friday 1st December 2006 2:04pm for Chapter 3

i lvoed this chapter...it was funny...Ron almost catching HArry...wonder what wouldve been the reaction?

okay...it took the dursleys two days to find out that harry was missing...thats not cool...but i think it will be interesting to see what happens when dumbledore gets a hold of that info, cause he invariably will, either through the muggle authorities or when mrs figg comes back, but that might be too late for him to separate Harry and Ginny, judging by what ive read so far...

i liked how you had Luna and her father know that Harry was there...it was a surprise turn, but at the same time it wasnt...and the thing about them seeing things others couldnt...makes sense...

i liked the goblin stuff...hehe...and the rings...i have this feeling that the Lovegoods are going to help Harry and Ginny get married...or something...they might see it as their duty...and i do really like Pickrake...hes hilarious...goblins are very vindictive, no?

and i cant wait to see how much the pot gets stirred up...Harry Potter, Boy-Who-Lived: MArried at age eight! i can see it now...long winded article by Rita...

hehe...and who was he going to go to, besides Sirius? who was the other? i would, personally, like to know.

i look forward to the next chapter, and forget about the beta, just write...i want the chapter that much...you have no idea the kind of torture i went through waiting for this...lol

hmm...I cant wait to see if and when Harry and Ginny get married...and what will happen when the weasleys discover they are a hundred galleons richer each month...

i think we are in for a bumpy ride, and im going to enjoy every moment of it...

i lookf forward to the next chapter...please update soon...~*NIWIS*~

IceBlades posted a comment on Friday 1st December 2006 1:48pm for Chapter 3

I enjoy the Goblin perspective that you throw in. Also, as always, wonderful writing.

Chrispy posted a comment on Friday 1st December 2006 7:44am for Chapter 3

Wouldn't Luna's mom be alive at this time?

Musings of Apathy replied:

I thought that I implied that she was at work, not dead.   Lukasha told stories about her work at a small spell crafting firm, after all.   So, yes she is alive, just not home during business hours.

Thanks for the review.

Fate posted a comment on Friday 1st December 2006 6:17am for Chapter 3

Wonderful Chapter!!
I love your explanations for the Lovegoods!

haphazard1 posted a comment on Friday 1st December 2006 4:05am for Chapter 3

Another excellent chapter. I'm glad you are planning to continue this story now that NaNoWriMo is over. I especially liked the Lovegoods in this chapter, and the sections with Pickrake throughout the story.

selenepotter posted a comment on Friday 1st December 2006 3:52am for Chapter 3

Great chapter!
I'm hoping the Harry and Ginny get married soon!

More Please!

riegert8 posted a comment on Friday 1st December 2006 3:42am for Chapter 3

Very good chapter. It seem that Dumbledore going to lose Harry trust before he meet him, I like that Idea. I find it hard to believe that Dumbledore would be the executor to James and Lily's will. He was just there headmaster and leader of the order of Phoenix

Haeton posted a comment on Friday 1st December 2006 1:27am for Chapter 3

I am entranced by this story and am eager to see the next installment. Thank you for the hard work work you put into each story.

Prince Charon posted a comment on Friday 1st December 2006 1:12am for Chapter 3

snicker Nice.

Thank you for the update.

More soon, please.

dave84768768 posted a comment on Thursday 30th November 2006 11:52pm for Chapter 3

Liking the story, it's an interesting version of hp goes missing. But, and it's a big but, the police aren't credible. Wouldn't you expect the cops to ask for a picture of the young lad? How suspicious would you be, were you a cop, if you were told there were no photo's of him, and that none of the neighbours saw the boy take off? Me, I'd start an investigation into the possible murder and dumping of the body.

Musings of Apathy replied:

I can understand your point.   I had in the back of my mind school photos being available.   At elementary schools in the U.S., they take school photos of every child, so there would be some photo at the back of a drawer or something.   As to an investigation, there is no evidence of wrongdoing, were there to be an investigation beyond the week that they took.   I'd like to know how much time is invested into an investigation of a foster child's disappearance in a city where the respected caregivers offer aa story that he has run away before.   For a busy police department, a week of investigating is a long time in a simple missing child case, I would guess.

Thanks for the review.

MarinePotterfan posted a comment on Thursday 30th November 2006 11:00pm for Chapter 3

Oh I can see Harry and Ginny gitting married. When Harry finally gets cought, they should have an empath help him explaine the Dursleys to them so they can see the truth of what was going on there.